Monday, June 18, 2012

Ah, the scent of clean carpets


I suspect it smells even sweeter if you have two big dogs in your house. No matter how well we keep the dogs clean and groomed, and the rugs vacuumed and spot cleaned, eventually you walk in the door and smell that nasty smell of dirty stinky dogs. That is my cue to call in the professionals. 

We have a quick and easy routine down. First, I schedule the cleaning for late Monday morning. Then Sunday night we put all downstairs furniture on the kitchen and dining room tile floors. Fits perfectly with a path to still get through and use the spaces.





After everyone has left for work on Monday morning, I pile all the light furniture and doodads on the beds and slide the big furniture into the two bathrooms. The dogs and I are now ready for the late morning arrival of the carpet cleaners.



I have discovered the secret to dry carpets by bedtime. This may not be as important as the secrets to the universe - but it rocks my world.

  • Crack every door and window in the house; this gives the moisture an escape route. 
  • Set the heat to 72 degrees - all you practical conservationist out there just hush; I know it is wasteful to have the heat on with the doors open but the end justifies the means. 
  • Finally and most importantly, set at least two fans in every carpeted room. It is the movement of air that actually dries the rugs. If it's not raining the dogs and I will spend time out in the yard because after a while the heat and the constant droning and clanking of fans starts to bug me. Unfortunately this day was rainy. 

Did you know watching rugs dry is about as exciting as watching the ever so popular spectator sport of submarine races? Just ask Dakota. He'll explain it to you.




No comments:

Post a Comment