Friday, November 18, 2011

Life. Love. Lesson.

Last week I went with Grandpa and Grandma to the funeral of Mary Shepard. She was 99 years old. Mary was a long-time friend of theirs from the neighborhood. John recalls Mary and her husband George attending our wedding in 1985. George died a few years after that. Their only daughter Sandra was 3 years older than me. Consequently I didn't know Sandra well; but well enough to recognize and greet when our paths would cross over the years.

Mary's longtime friend Deacon Warfield gave the eulogy. It was personal, poignant and full of priceless stories. However one line jumped out at me and has stuck with me ever since. I think I will add it to the words of wisdom I hold close and try to live by.

"It is our love for one another that makes life worthwhile. Period.

MaryBarr (left) and Mary Shepard

This photograph was taken in Grandmas backyard at Anna and Mauricio's wedding party in 2006.
MaryBarr has also provided me with words of wisdom to live by. 

I sure grew up in a neighborhood full of wise people!

No comments:

Post a Comment