Monday, September 13, 2010

Time

Time has value. But it isn't always a monetary value. There is measurable value in time well spent, time accomplishing good deeds and time with family and friends.

When I am spending my time doing work for Kennedy I am paid by the hour. That has great value to me. However, when I sit at Kennedy waiting for over an hour for an online meeting to start (as I did on Monday) I do not feel the time has value, even though I am still being paid. I would prefer to be at home completing the tasks I have deemed important and valuable for my family and me - even though I would not be paid for my time.

This is a concept James tries to explain to John. When James is on a job that has him humping all day he enjoys the work. When he is on a job that requires lots of standing and waiting he does not enjoy the job in the least. John responds with, "Quit complaining. You are making $40 an hour standing or moving and it is better than sitting in your room playing video games and not getting paid." James knows that; just like I know that. But the point is it still feels like wasted time.

Someday I will come back to this post and try to explain it better. But I wanted to get it down on paper (is a blog, paper?) while the thought was fresh in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment