Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Home from Marthapalooza

That was a fast 5 days. It was very different than other trips to Chicago. Was it the rain, no kids, missing out-laws, travel days, party location or a combination of it all? Do not misunderstand me. It was a good trip. One I am very glad I made.

This trip did not include a wild and crazy over-the-top laugh until your side hurts memory. You know the kind of memory I'm talking about: events, actions, activities, doings or sayings that you relive and laugh at together for years to come. The kind of memory that inevitably creates an inside joke or two. The kind of memory you hope you get a picture of but you hope no one posts it on Facebook :) Wild and crazy times usually accompany a trip to Chicago. It is one of the things I most look forward too (probably because Horrigan's are fun, but not crazy-fun like the goofy Marth clan).

The rain and cold evening may have changed the party dynamics but one thing that didn't change is the presentation of a bobblehead to the Marth sibling that most recently turned 50. This night it was Mike's turn (aka Moon). Bob started this tradition 2 years ago when Rich was the first to pass the 50 year-old mark. It was Marthapalooza 2008 when Lil' Rich was born. A year later Bob had Lil' Horse made for John when he turned 50. Now it was time for Lil' Moon to come into this world. I absolutely love this tradition.

L to R | Lil' Rich, Lil' Moon

Lil' Horse
See what I mean about crazy fun? I don't know how Bob ever thought to get this tradition going but I'm glad he did. Although Donna and Mary (the next to turn 50) are insisting it is time for the tradition to take a few years off. I'm not thinking that is going to happen. No, not much chance of that at all.

Severe weather in Chicago delayed our flight so we didn't get home until 1 a.m. Wednesday morning. But after everyone was in bed and my doggies and I were snuggling on the floor watching Warehouse 13 (gotta love OnDemand) I had a chance to reflect a bit on the trip. It was a trip about time together visiting, sharing and catching up. As I said it was a good trip. It was a great trip. It may happen more often as more of us pass that 50 year-old mark hahah!





No comments:

Post a Comment