Friday, August 10, 2012

What to take for dessert


Funny thing happened the other day...I got asked to bring dessert to a dinner party this coming Sunday.

Me. Yes, me. The queen of no-baking. The person without a sweet-tooth bone in her whole body. I said sure, but not without some hesitation. You see, I will be taking this dessert to James and Tess' house. The Tess who loves making dessert and brings her delicious treats to all the family gatherings. And her parents will be there. And her sister will be there.

No pressure. I got this one.

I will embrace the challenge and have some fun. As it so happens, I recently saved a few dessert recipes for just such an occasion as this. Which one should I try?


Peanut Butter and Chocolate Ice Cream Cake
Everybody loves peanut butter and chocolate together. Right? Mix that yummy goodness with Oreo Cookies, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, vanilla ice cream and whipped cream and you have a winner. I can do that.



Oreo Cheesecake Bites
Oreo's - Papa and James' favorite cookie. Cheesecake - James' favorite cake. That one could be a real winner. Nothing complicated. No fancy pancy flavors or cooking techniques; I should be able to pull this off.



Oreo Cookies and Cream No Bake Cheesecake
This dessert offers a three'fer: 1. Oreo's. 2. Cheesecake and 3. Cookies and Cream - which now that I think about it, is truly just a redundant way to say Oreo's and Cheesecake. So, it's really only a two'fer.

If the Bakers Royale website is to be believed, this is super easy to make. Author Naomi had this to say, "I love this latest creation to come out of my Wonka factory: Oreo Cookies and Cream No-Bake Cheesecake. Seriously, one of my easiest desserts ever—ten minute prep, throw it in the fridge to set, and enjoy childhood bliss with every Oreo filled cheesecake bite." I think my family could get behind that.



Basement Brownies
There is a story that goes with the name of these brownies but let's leave that out of the conversation for the moment and discuss the delicious lusciousness of that ooey gooey decadent brownie. Yes, even a dessert dodger can appreciate the goodness to be found in every bite of one of those. Top that goodness with a dollop of vanilla ice cream and a novice baker like myself could produce a few oohs and aahs.



Biscoff Toffee Ice Cream Cake
This dessert is probably not really in the running for this crowd. Not sure these are flavors that would float their boat. I think I was drawn to this recipe because back when I did eat sweets this would have been a go-to treat for me every chance I got. The dry short biscuit, the creamy cold ice cream and the sweet crunchy toffee tickle all my favorite taste-buds.



No Bake Cheesecake
Easy to prepare. Seven ingredients. No oven needed. I can offer a variety of toppings to please all palates. I'm thinking this might be a good choice. I must admit this dessert doesn't wow me for some reason. However this is not about me, now is it  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment