Sunday, August 21, 2011

BD Weekend Continues

Papa's plan was to golf on his Birthday weekend and he wanted me to ride along but last week he ended up golfing on Monday, Thursday and Friday; and next week he already has three golf days scheduled...so he decided to take the weekend off. That boy loves his golf!

Now what is a birthday boy to do with this free eightyseven degree Sunday? Plan a family-work-together-in-the-yard day of course - and after that go shopping for a shed (more about shed shopping in a minute).

Groan. At least that was how Daniel and I felt - but we don't handle heat well. We handle heat so poorly that we even toyed with the idea of pooling our money and hiring someone to take our places...but that just didn't seem right...after all, this is what he wanted for his birthday. Groan again.

The yard was desperately in need of attention so I can't fault him for wanting to spruce things up. After the 4 of us spent a few hours weeding, raking, pruning, planting and mowing it did look much improved - we didn't, but the yard did :}

I forgot to take "before" pictures. I blame my heat stroke addled brain for that oversight. Below are some pics from just before we finished. I'm again blaming the heat for the fact there are no actual "after" pictures or interesting shots of the hard working hot gardeners...you can take that any way you want :) but do take my word for it - the place looks great!



As promised, shed shopping explained...

East of the house is a huge wasted desolate space that was designed for RV parking. We block it off so the dogs don't walk the fence line and bark at every passerby - it's been an effective solution. We've decided to put the space to better use and build a large shed for storage. We think it is safe to assume we won't miss having a space to park an RV :)

We found a shed we like at a price we can live with (jeesh these things are expensive). Now I get to get it approved by our HOA - hoping that task is a piece of cake.

This new shed will hold James' stuff, Shannon's stuff, our stuff, beach stuff, garden supplies, tools and/or large equipment. You are probably thinking, "What the heck! How big is this thing going to be?" It is going to be big - but not big enough to house everything in that list. We haven't decided exactly what items will be stored in the shed but once we assign a spot for everything we will be able to reclaim our garage (yeah!) and get rid of the storage unit we are paying way too much for each month. We should have done this a year ago but who knew James was staying and Shannon was going!

You know, I always swore I would never pay for storage. If I had so much junk that I needed to rent a storage unit then I would get rid of some of my junk. That's what I said. And I meant what I said. Don't you just hate it when reality smacks you in the face and you eat your words? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment